Request for Public Comment on Proposed 2019 Fare Modification
SolTrans is seeking public input on a proposed fare increase to local routes and paratransit. The proposed changes and the public input process are outlined below.
• SolTrans has not had a fare increase since 2006, while operating costs have increased
• SolTrans is required to collect fares that will cover 20% of the cost of operating the local routes or risk losing government funding
• Currently SolTrans is only collecting 13% of the cost of operating the local routes from passenger fares
SolTrans has been working hard on our service quality – keeping buses on time, keeping our service reliable, and keeping the buses maintained to avoid breakdowns on the road. We will also be making improvements to local service starting in 2019 based on the results of our Comprehensive Operational Analysis (COA); our goal is to make service sustainable in order to avoid service cuts. For more information on the COA click HERE
Instead of doing one big increase SolTrans wanted to break it up over 6 years so riders can plan. The first fare increase will take place July 1, 2019. It will be the first of three increases over the next six years. Increases are scheduled for July 2019, July 2021 and July 2023.
The table below reflects the proposed increases over the next six years:
|Local Fare Structure|
|Current Fare Structure|
|10 ride pass||$15.00||$12.00||$7.00|
|31 Day pass||$56.00||$44.00||$28.00|
|Mid-day Fare for Seniors||$1.00||n/a||n/a|
|Proposed Local Fare Structure|
|July 2019||July 2021||July 2023|
|10 ride pass||$18.00||$14.00||$9.00||$20.00||$16.00||$9.50||$21.00||$18.00||$10.00|
|31 Day pass||$60.00||$46.00||$30.00||$62.00||$48.00||$31.00||$64.00||$50.00||$32.00|
|Mid-day Fare for Seniors||$2.00||n/a||n/a||$2.25||n/a||n/a||$2.50||n/a||n/a|
* For people age 65 or older, disabled, or have a medicare or RTC card
Public Input Process
The public is invited to provide input regarding these proposed fare changes. While we need to do a fare increase, we welcome your comments as to the amount of each increase, the increase amount by fare type and the timing of the increases. Comments may be submitted by filling out the survey on the link below, by postal mail to: Fare Change Comments, SolTrans, 311 Sacramento St. Vallejo, CA 94590. Comments may also be made at one of three public workshops that have been scheduled:
- October 11, 2018- 4-7 PM, Benicia’s Farmer Market: First Street Benicia
- October 27, 2018 – 9AM-2PM, Vallejo Farmers Market, Georgia Street Vallejo
- November 1, 2018- 9:30AM-1PM, Solano Community College Fairfield Campus Building 1400, Fairfield
- November 2, 2018- 12- 3PM, Solano Town Center Bus Stop 829012 across from Sears, Fairfield
- November 3, 2018 – 9AM-2PM, Vallejo Farmers Market, Georgia Street Vallejo
- December 20, 2018 – 4 PM, Formal Public Hearing: SolTrans Board meeting, Vallejo City Council Chambers
Unable to attend? Fill out the survey below:
Comments must be received by Thursday, February 21, 2019 to be considered as part of the development of the final staff recommendation.
The SolTrans Board of Directors is expected to consider the final staff recommendation on the proposed fare changes at their February 21, 2019 meeting.
Posted under Planning